(First week in Maui, 2007)
I’ve
always considered myself a free man. I
think life as a Military Brat left me with an almost unconscious need to
move every couple years. I have never
really felt bound to one particular place.
In my experience, there have always been treasure troves filled with
interesting people and experiences around every corner.
One
of the most amazing feelings I have ever felt was probably the moment Rob and I
shipped home 30 pounds of useless items and bags, and everything I was to live
off for the next several weeks was in a 65 lbs sack on my shoulders. The freedom I felt was incredible and
exhilarating. There were absolutely no
boundaries I could think of, we could go anywhere or do whatever we wanted. . .
xo
Stark
fear is one way to describe it. Above
the pain and exhaustion of walking 15 miles with our heavy ass packs, fear was
all I felt. Our first hole in our ideal
freedom was money and having spent our first weeks allowance on the first day. The second hole was having a place to sleep
at night. Originally, our goal was to
make our way towards the east side of Maui, including Hana, over a series of 10
days, camping along the way. But having
been on the Island for about 3 days, we didn’t know there are very few legal
camping spots in Maui.
Nightfall
was sudden and approximate; the only lights on Hana Highway were from the
occasional headlights of speeding cars.
I was beyond exhausted. It felt
like one of those horror movie moments where the hero is running down a narrow
hall to escape a bad guy, and the end never comes. The beach must have ended 3 miles opposite
our direction, all that surrounded us was lush farmland, and it went on for
miles. Eventually we passed a dark alley
of a road, probably a home away from home for highway killers. Not wanting to die, we trekked on.
A
long mile later, we found a house under construction. Barely lit under the moonlight, I could make
out large bulldozers around the huge building.
It must have been a multi-million dollar home. My morale and motivation were gone. Rob set up camp in a dark corner on the side
of the house. The only exit was the way
we came in. We were pressed against a
guardrail, at the end of a small dirt road.
Just past the guardrail was a hill that dropped 30 feet and it was
covered with jungle trees. The mansion
was on top of a cliff about 15 feet above our campsite. All the windows were boarded up, and it felt
like something was watching. Except the
eyes weren’t in the house, they were in the dark of the forest, 5 feet
away. Every now and then all the birds
and bugs would become absolutely silent, as if some evil presence was nearby,
and they didn’t want to get its attention.
I’ve
been robbed at gunpoint, and didn’t blink an eye. But this scenario was nerve wrecking.
Sleep
did not come easy. Long painful spasms
shot along my muscles covering every inch of my body and ending at my blistered
feet. Not to mention the thought that
someone or something could kill us in our sleep.
Rob is a natural born leader, which constantly
causes us to clash in our later years.
I’m a big believer that one should surround themselves with strong
willed friends. I think we learn the
most from those we are constantly around.
The oddest thing about our relationship is that neither of us seems to
remember how we became friends.
Maui
is a tourist haven. White, red and black
sand beaches are just some of the beautiful attractions. Mountain biking tours, parasailing, and scuba
diving are a few of the adventures.
Secret waterfalls, mountain sunsets, and valleys with swinging bridges
are just waiting to be seen. Beautiful
girls and ripped men are scattered along the various beaches. Rented Mustangs and Jeeps line the streets;
people flock from worldwide to live the dream.
Freezing
in a small tent, next to an abandoned building off the highway, told me I was
living a much different dream.
About
the 4th time I woke up it was morning. To no surprise my body was stiff, my feet
were sore, and I was now wet and cold.
The rain had seeped through our shitty ten-dollar tents. And the ground was littered with fire ants.
We
packed up camp, bit into an apple, and trudged on. I was more than a little broken spirited, but
I was in Maui, nothing could be that bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment