Saturday, October 16, 2010

Banana Bungalow


(Week Two in Maui)

          We spent a week recovering at Kanaha.  It was a beautiful spot, a popular area for novice wind and kite surfers.  The beach has a swimming area, an area dedicated to windsurfing and one to kite surfing.    The trail from the parking lot goes for about a mile before it hits private cabins.  Our campsite was located in a perfect little spot that was off the beach, but to the side of a trail.  During recovery I started writing a letter, learned how to shave without a mirror, learned when the best time to shower at a beach is, and some elite ninja skills like how to walk around and not be seen by park officers at night. 
          Out in the water one day, we saw two men dressed in yellow talking to the homeless man with the fishing pole we had seen earlier in our visit.  He pointed at us and then in the direction of our tent.   The following morning a park officer told us to pack up and move out, they were about to raid the beach.
          Reluctantly we moved out.  Our bank account was about to be filled with the weekly allowance, so it wasn’t too bad.  We walked 6 miles to the first hostel of our visit.  It was called Banana Bungalow.

          It reminded me of the frat I stayed in over the summer.  So many people poured in and out on a daily basis.  Someone was always either drunk or stoned.  Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, including the people that worked there.  To most of the people it was a new experience.  To me it felt like home. 
          The building was huge and must have had about 25 rooms, including a social room, a Jacuzzi and a T.V room.  The front door was just about always locked, and everyone that worked there smoked pot.  I haven’t straightened my hair in about a month, so I must have that look.  I don’t know how many times I got asked for pot or if I wanted to buy any while I was out in Maui or Vegas.
          Most of the people there were in their mid to late twenties.  Aside from maybe two other people, Rob and I were the youngest.  There is something about crowds of people I just met that gives me immense energy.  For the first time in a week in a half I could take a warm shower and throw on one of the two nice pairs of clothes I hadn’t sent home.  Taking off the 65 lbs bag was a big relief, I felt like I could take on 5 guys if I had to.  I felt good.
          The worst part about Maui is that girls in Southern California look better.  Sure Maui women had better bodies, but pretty much no sense of style.  Something about a girl in running shoes that isn’t using them to run turns me off, that and when a girl wears jeans from the 90’s that go up to their belly buttons.  The guys in Maui are insane.  I have never seen so many ripped fifty year olds.  There is nothing more uncomfortable than when you have to suck it in when you pass grandpa.
          It’s very easy to meet and get along with new people.  I love meeting new people.  Just the idea that before that night you were complete strangers.  Something about those first minutes is magical, and usually determines a whole relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment